☰  Help  Calendar  Member List  Search  Portal
 Portal  Search  Member List  Calendar
Hello There, Guest!  Register  Login

Saeed Ajmal retires from all forms of cricket

Just read this news that Pakistan spin wizard Saeed Ajmal has decided to quit from all forms of cricket. I am very sad to hear that. The current National Twenty20 tournament in which he is playing will be his last.

Quote:I am quitting all forms of cricket after the current National Twenty20 tournament.

It was a highly satisfying career in which I achieved whatever goals I set for myself and helped the team win matches.

Ban over action left me frustrated and hurt. More hurtful was that current player Stuart Broad questioned that and his comments hurt me no end. But I have forgiven everyone.

Ajmal told AFP from Rawalpindi on the phone.

During a successful but controversial career, Ajmal was once celebrated as the world's number one bowler in one day internationals (ODIs) and Twenty20 cricket, and was almost as successful in Tests.

He famously captured 24 wickets in three Tests against England in 2012.

But his time in the limelight was cut short after a temporary ban for chucking saw him return to the sport in 2015 without the same form.

He took just one wicket in two ODIs and a Twenty20 in Bangladesh, his first matches after being cleared to bowl, and was never selected for the national team again.

[Image: Saeed.jpg]
[Image: a0y0I8c.jpg]
End of an era. He won many matches for Pakistan!

People were not happy with him especially English when Pakistan faced England in 2012 in UAE. Pakistan won test series by 3-0 and Ajmal was pivotal in this win. Bob Willis called him chucker and was not so subtle about it. Here's the video!

His action was always a point of contention and he submitted himself to all the necessary ICC testing and was subsequently cleared to bowl by the ICC.
It wasn't until an inferior, more cost effective, methodology was adapted for testing bowling actions when all these bans began started being handed out. And that was the downfall of Ajmal's career.
He didn't cheat, he played within the rules, and when the rules changed he tried to conform to them but couldn't.

Possibly Related Threads...